Thursday, July 8, 2010

LOL


Are My Glasses On Straight? by karen zima



There was a quote in the late 1960s-early 1970s that my ex-husband attributed to Mason Williams (of Classical Gas fame). I have searched enough, thank you very much, and cannot find either the quote or who originally said it. Our sense of humor changes and grows as we change and grow, but there are certain things that bring a smile, giggle, or belly laugh forever. This quote still cracks me up.........

If I wore your glasses could I see you home?



Here are some other things that do it for me:

  • In a post over a year ago titled Auntie Meme my response to one of those questions is pertinent . . . Funniest thing you saw in your life?
Was watching a movie with my mother at her house. Mid-1980s, which means she was around 70 and a bit prone to dozing off in her recliner. She was always an active sleeper-dreamer (I'm glad I didn't inherit her inclination for occasional sleepwalking). I was engrossed in the movie when I heard her repeatedly asking me.....in a very muffled tone.....How do I look? How do I look? I turned in my chair to look at her and found her turned in my direction. Her eyes were tightly closed and her top teeth were bucked out and over her lower lip. I instantly roared, which woke her up. As she came to she began to laugh and tell me that she dreamed she was a WALRUS and was so proud of her amazing tusks that she wanted everyone to notice and compliment them! And, no, I never let her forget the episode.
 
  • The Jerk - Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters







  • The Mad Bluebird



  • Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey, any and all of them. This is the one that popped up first at his website's "3x5 cards" tab. It was new to me. It tickled me to death, no surprise.......
I saw on this nature show how the male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!


  • Saturday Night Live on NBC. I've watched (some years have appealed more than others) since the first season when they didn't have enough sponsors to fill in the ad time so they would actually show a still shot of the original cast, etc. for the amount of time an advertisement would play. It didn't take too long before sponsors began filling up that time.



  • This scene from The Owl and the Pussycat (1970) - Barbra Streisand and George Segal







and

  • this photo:
 



Your turn. Care to share something(s) that make you laugh out loud?




.

12 comments:

Hattie said...

Steve Martin's pillow talk would put anyone to sleep and keep her there!
What do I think is funny? The Styvesant Bee.
http://www.corpse.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=354&Itemid=1

Rhiannon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rhiannon said...

I loved the owl and the pussycat...a real "underdog" movie...and oh yeah Jack Handley's "deep thoughts"...I always liked the older SNL "no coke pepsi" quote..or was it "no pepsi coke"?...and those "disco brothers" who thought they were so cool when they danced was so hiliarious...thanks for making me laugh so hard Lydia.

I've got a "love and peace" post plan that Ringo Starr requested on his Birthday the other day..that everyone say "love and peace" twice to people and do the peace hand sign twice a day every day after his Birthday (and of course they did at his party) to stop the wars and become more positive..and so I am..and looking for a bumper sticker for my car also..I'm just getting started...:o)

Hope you'll drop by..

Love and Peace for the world,

Love,

Rhi

La Belette Rouge said...

What a hilarious post!! Your mother's walrus dream for me laughing out loud. The hardest I have ever laughed in my life( I think) is the first time I heard Dave Eggers read the essay "Me talk pretty one day". I was driving in my car and I was laughing so hard I was losing control of that car. I had to pull over and laugh it out. Ricky Gervais' pod casts have the same effect on me; I can't listen to them when I drive.

Lydia said...

Hattie~ Oh, that is hilarious! Have no idea of the background of the site so going in cold was especially weird. I def LOL! I tried to copy/paste one to bring back with me but the site is locked down.... "The ADD Gourmet" in issue 1-73, but any number of them totally cracked me up. Thanks for introducing me to the Stuyvesant Bee (whatever it is!).

Rhi~ Your comment came through twice and that is what the deleted one is ahead of you. They looked like duplicates to me.
I absolutely remember those "two wild and cr-azy guys" and thinking about them makes me laugh. And Gilda Radner as the geeky girl on a date. And Jane Curtain doing the news. And the Church Lady.
I think it was Pepsi, no Coke.
I'm coming over to see your post. That's marvelous that Ringo brought the world in on his birthday!

La Belette Rouge~ Learned something from you in your comments...I only last year read Eggers' masterpiece (but coming late to the party did not dull the party for me in the slightest). I am unaware of the essay you mentioned and hope I can find him reading it online. Also, I love Ricky Gervais stuff but am unaware of his pod casts...actually, I am not up on the world of pod casts at all and I'd better get up to speed there. :)

Hattie said...

The "Bee" is part of the online magazine, Exquisite Corpse, which is edited by Andrei Codrescu, whom you may have heard on NPR from time to time.
Very profane bunch. And screamingly funny from time to time. Some great art and poetry and stories too, by the way.
http://www.corpse.org/

Lydia said...

Hattie~ Minutes before finding your follow-up comment I registered at Exquisite Corpse! It's fantastic. You will think this is silly....I can't find the "Bee" there. I clicked on a bunch of tabs and even tried search, but....where in the heck is it on the main page?
The poetry there at EC is wonderful. Thanks again for the referral.

Hattie said...

Hmm. Don't know. Lucky we have the link.

Darlene said...

My Dad told me a joke and I can never tell it without laughing so hard I can't finish the punch line. It is really not that funny, but I get a visual image of what's happening and it cracks me up.

If you want me to type the whole long joke you will have to make a request via e-mail.

naomi dagen bloom said...

Your mother's dream gets my vote...hilarious plus relationship connection.

Cordescu was on local public radio when we lived there. Listening to his stories was a step into another universe--his very unique one--often funny, often angry about the world's injustices.

Lydia said...

Hattie~ Agreed.

Darlene~ It has to be a great joke! Please check your email for my formal request to read it. :)

Naomi~ My mother's gets my vote too, most definitely. And to have seen it in person.....priceless!
I like the way you described Cordescu's presentation. Must be by virtue of the particular time of day I usually turn on npr, but I've listened to Fresh Air with Terry Gross more than any other program there. (The station I listen most often to and am a supporting member of is All Classical KQAC in Portland.)

La Belette Rouge said...

I should not post before I have had coffee. I meant David Sedaris and not Dave Eggers.Sorry!:-(
And don't drive and listen to Ricky's podcasts. His podcasts should come with a warning about how they may cause one to pee themselves.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails