Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Old Postcard Wednesday: Cahuenga Pass Parkway and Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, California



*1769 - Spanish explorer Gaspar de Portolá crosses hills into San Fernando Valley and names it the “Valley de Santa Catalina de Bononia de los Encinos” or the “Valley of the Oaks.” Area is known as “Kawangna,” meaning “little hills” in native Gabrieliño.
Cahuenga Pass

The Cahuenga Pass is a mountain pass through the eastern end of the Santa Monica Mountains in the Hollywood district of the City of Los Angeles, California. It connects the Los Angeles Basin to the San Fernando Valley via the Hollywood Freeway U.S. Route 101 and Cahuenga Boulevard. With an elevation 745ft./227m, it is the lowest pass through the mountains.

It was the site of two major battles, the Battle of Cahuenga Pass in 1831 (a fight between local settlers and the Mexican-appointed governor and his men; two deaths), and the Battle of La Providencia or Second Battle of Cahuenga Pass in 1845 (between locals over whether to secede from Mexico; one horse and one mule killed), both on the San Fernando Valley side near present-day Studio City; cannonballs are still occasionally found during excavations in the area. Along the route of the historic El Camino Real, the historic significance of the pass is also marked by a marker along Cahuenga Blvd., which names the area as Paseo de Cahuenga.

- from Cahuenga Pass History, CPPOA website


The Cahuenga Pass Property Owners Association website (quoted above) contains great historic photos (including one of this same postcard). The same website has a page with some fascinating history about The Cahuenga Pass, including a Chronology of Hollywood Area, the Cahuenga Pass and the Cahuenga Pass Parkway.*



But wait! .....it gets even better. There might be treasure in them thar hills:

This is a 7 minute clip taken from the television series "World Of Treasure" produced by Burrud Production in the mid 1990s. This story centers around the true story of the lost riches of the Cahuenga Pass. We'll hear modern day treasure hunter Roy Rousch's theory as to where the treasure is located. Despite the massave [sic] development in the Los Angeles area the treasure still today has not been uncovered.
The entire series "World Of Treasure" is now available on DVD by going to www.twothumbsupdvd.com as well as other Burrud Production releases.





The Hollywood Bowl
ranks #1 in an article titled Top Ten Outdoor Venues in Los Angeles, where it's described as:
An 86-year-old slap in the face to Hollywood’s historical amnesia, the Hollywood Bowl is a refreshing reminder that some things in this town can survive beyond the last pilot season. Since 1922, the Bowl at Bolton Canyon has been thrilling audiences under the stars as the summer home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The nearly 18,000-seat amphitheatre has also hosted hundreds of musical events under the famous orchestra shell (the fifth and newest shell was constructed in 2004). From the Playboy Jazz Festival to Radiohead, the Bowl continues to be a world-class music destination in the heart of Hollywood.

An article titled Seeing Stars: Hollywood Landmarks offers an enthusiastic page full of information, beginning.......
No trip to Hollywood would be complete wiothout a visit to the world-famous Hollywood Bowl. For over 70 years, the Hollywood Bowl has been the scene of some of the most memorable musical moments in Los Angeles History...symphonies, opera, jazz, ballet, presidential addresses, rock concerts...
This is the world's largest natural amphitheater, virtually hidden away in the folds of the foothills of the Santa Monica mountains, yet it's mere blocks from busy Hollywood Blvd.

The Bowl was build in 1919 in a natural amphitheater/canyon which was called "Daisy Dell." The first shell was designed by Lloyd Wright (the son of Frank Lloyd Write), who also designed another local landmark: the Wayfarer's Chapel in Palos Verdes. The Beatles became the first rock & roll band to play here on August 23, 1964.

The official website of the Hollywood Bowl has great photos, history, and the schedule for 2009 events. Addionally, it contains a Newcomers Guide sure to answer any questions you might have about the Hollywood Bowl.

`

11 comments:

dmarks said...

I first knew the Hollywood Bowl from the old episode of "The Flintstones" with Ann-Margret in it... or "Ann-Margrock" as they called her.

Carlos Lorenzo said...

Amazing, two battles and almost no casualties. Encinos are oaks. We call it Encinas but I suppose it may vary. Don't know what Gabrieliño is?
Interesting knowing the Beatles played there in the bowl. Interesting and educational reading Lydia.

Steve Morozumi said...

thanks for the info on Cahuenga Pass and The Hollywood Bowl in my somewhat new home state of California.

i'd never heard about Cahuenga Pass, so that was interesting to learn about.

thanks again for sharing and thanks for all your support! i appreciate it!

-Steve @ fluxlife

Adam said...

very pretty, wiki'd and google imaged this after ;) btw, add me back to the blogroll?

~Adam

Rhiannon said...

I have good news Lydia. It's official I move into "my little abode" 1 bedroom apartment towards the end of March or beginning of April. I got approved and all went very well! It all happened so fast once the ball started rolling.

Though I was born in West Virginia my family moved to San Fernando valley, CA when I was just a baby. I grew up there. So once again something you posted I could relate to.

Now this lady is going to go relax, put up her feet and play some mellow music to try to unwind and let it hit me that "I accomplished what I set out to do 2 years ago or more"...talk about patience!...well anyway I feel I've received such a wonderful blessed gift...what I call a "nod from God of a higher power and my guardian angel".

Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement..

Love and Blessings,

Rhi

Lydia said...

@dmarks- Ann-Margrock...that is so funny. I loved the Flintstones, one of my favorites as a kid.

@Carlos- Because I have not continued to study the Spanish I took in school I must admit that I didn't know encinos were oaks. A huge oak tree on the main street in our town cracked and fell in the ice storm last December. It was well over 150 years old, probably 200. I feel sorry for the people who live in the beautiful home there, as they must miss it even more than I do....and I miss it LOTS.

@Steve- I didn't know about Cahuenga Pass either, not until working up the post. I was most interested in the quaint old photos of the area at the links.
I hope you are healing faster this week!

@Adam- You're great to dig even deeper on this subject! Make a deal with you....keep the posts coming at least semi-regularly (I enjoy them and so will others!) this month and I'll add you back in April. Don't be shy to remind me on April Fools Day!

@Rhi- I read your comment way earlier today and it's taken hours to get back here to respond to comments and to tell you how happy I am for you! Your story, your struggle has been personally scary for me, as it exposes my own vulnerability. You have been gallant and are most deserving of this sweet place of your own. Email me your new address when you get settled so I can send you a little something as a housewarming token. :)

Unknown said...

Wow – Look at the traffic!
I work about an inch lower across the Universal Studios and let me tell you: It doesn’t look like that anymore!

Chris Overstreet said...

This postcard gives me vertigo. It's gorgeous, though, and a shame that the back was attacked by a 6-year-old with a pencil.

Lydia said...

@Buddha- Do you mean look at the lack of traffic on the postcard? Or has some special program, like commuter-only lanes, etc., reduced it even more?
That sure is fun to visualize (sorta) your work area.

@Chris Overstreet- Very nice to have you here! Your name sounds a bit like a 1940s film noir detective's name.....and you are the only person to mention what was done to the back of the card. :)

Marie Reed said...

I like what the little rascal did.. of course I thought that it was cute when 18 month year old Noah drew all over the walls with his new crayons so I guess I'm a bad jusdge! I want to find a canonball too!

Lydia said...

@Marie Reed- I thought the pencil drawing resembled a dragonfly!
My sis and I were allowed to draw on our bedroom walls with crayons, and I turned out ok....but I didn't become an artist, either. :)

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails