Saturday, August 2, 2008

I am The Moon?

I first took this Which Tarot Card are You test at another blog I visited. Having saved it into my drafts for a possible post, I took it again some weeks ago. Then Friday night I answered the questions again, but this time with intended honesty and more ease. I've always had a problem with tests such as this. They are subjective, or I am. They might try to trick me, and I always am ahead looking out for the tricks. They have exciting selections, where I might be feeling my real answers would be among the more boring selections. As a former college classmate said to me once, Who makes up this stuff? Maybe that's the best question of all.

Caveats aside, my three tests yielded three different results. I took it the final time because I, admittedly, tweaked my answers
the first two times to impress myself. I wasn't impressed. However, as with tests along this order, I found some truths in the results from the first two tests. Here, then, are clips from the first two:

#1 You are The Devil:
...Perhaps the most misunderstood of all the major arcana, the Devil is not really "Satan" at all, but Pan the half-goat nature god and/or Dionysius. These are gods of pleasure and abandon, of wild behavior and unbridled desires. This is a card about ambitions; it is also synonymous with temptation and addiction...

I don't balk at the devil analogy, as I find the piece I included here to be strikingly descriptive of my drinking days. Also, I truly believe in acknowledging and confronting our darker nature. It's something the counselors at treatment in 1985 pushed me to do. I was so adept then at compartmentalizing my life. I could switch on this sweet act, only it didn't fly with ex-addicts. They knew that if I didn't get real in that place that I'd never stay sober in the real world.

#2 You are The Sun:
...This is the light that comes after the long dark night, Apollo to the Moon's Diana. A positive card, it promises you your day in the sun...this card symbolizes discoveries made fully conscious and wide awake...It is a card of intellect, clarity of mind, and feelings of youthful energy.


The piece I included from the sun analogy reminded me of the sweet sunny act I used in my former dual existence. But it's not like that, of course. I take this as a reminder to myself that being positive, expecting my day in the sun, is no longer something that I need use to deflect a dark truth about me. It feels good to write about my darkness, as it feels good to express true happiness. Some days I feel a sense of beautiful well-being that fills me with joy. I wish there were more of them. I wish Mike would lighten up, too. Things can get awfully serious around our house and it drags me down.


It seems noteworthy that this description for the Sun card makes reference to another card, the Moon, the long dark night. Because when I took the test the third time, the time I was natural with my responses, it said that I am The Moon. Certainly, of the three the full results regarding The Moon felt the most authentic for me presently. As authentic as any online Tarot card test could be...


You are The Moon


Hope, expectation, Bright promises.


The Moon is a card of magic and mystery - when prominent you know that nothing is as it seems, particularly when it concerns relationships. All logic is thrown out the window.


The Moon is all about visions and illusions, madness, genius and poetry. This is a card that has to do with sleep, and so with both dreams and nightmares. It is a scary card in that it warns that there might be hidden enemies, tricks and falsehoods. But it should also be remembered that this is a card of great creativity, of powerful magic, primal feelings and intuition. You may be going through a time of emotional and mental trial; if you have any past mental problems, you must be vigilant in taking your medication but avoid drugs or alcohol, as abuse of either will cause them irreparable damage. This time however, can also result in great creativity, psychic powers, visions and insight. You can and should trust your intuition.


What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.

9 comments:

j said...

Very interesting ....

I have the same issues with these kinds of quizzes: am I, too, trying to impress myself with my answers, game it so that I get the profile I want? And can anyone be summed up with a test?

But sometimes there's a little bit of truth in the results, even if I've pushed them in a certain direction.

Lydia said...

Jennifer,
Ah, such good questions and a keen conclusion!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I would say that the moon is very fitting for you......

I took the test:
You are The Empress

Beauty, happiness, pleasure, success, luxury, dissipation.

The Empress is associated with Venus, the feminine planet, so it represents, beauty, charm, pleasure, luxury, and delight. You may be good at home decorating, art or anything to do with making things beautiful.

The Empress is a creator, be it creation of life, of romance, of art or business. While the Magician is the primal spark, the idea made real, and the High Priestess is the one who gives the idea a form, the Empress is the womb where it gestates and grows till it is ready to be born. This is why her symbol is Venus, goddess of beautiful things as well as love. Even so, the Empress is more Demeter, goddess of abundance, then sensual Venus. She is the giver of Earthly gifts, yet at the same time, she can, in anger withhold, as Demeter did when her daughter, Persephone, was kidnapped. In fury and grief, she kept the Earth barren till her child was returned to her.

Lydia said...

Wayfaring Wanderer,

Wow, the Empress. Of course you are!

Thanks for including the description of your card because when Mike took the test he was the Sun. Since I'd already seen the description for the Sun, having drawn that one the second time, I was wondering what any of the others might be...

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

I have trouble filling in these tests because they always tend to ask for yes or no answers or give you two different ideas to take into consideration - and i always have to question everything (it drives my partner insane sometimes)- like: do my star sign readings act differently now that Pluto is downgraded and not a planet?

My mind is always open to these things, but i tend to think that the truth is that if you're told something will happen then you tend to self-proprecise and make it happen. An interesting area of thought nonetheless...

Lydia said...

DFTP,
Personally, I think questioning everything is a good practice. Case in point, the numerous faulty and downright fabricated emails concerning political candidates, etc. I'm a bit weary of running this trash through www.snopes.com then validating or debunking the messages with snopes info in my replies (frequently to the entire email send list!). But I'll continue doing this as my own crusade for truth. :)
That's funny about Pluto....

Roxanne said...

Fascinating Lydia.
I always used to think I was the Star, as I always used to get it in readings.
In this one, I was the Moon.

Such fascinating questions! You are right about how we sometimes answer as we THINK we should answer ;)

dianasfaria.com said...

I appreciate your honesty as well as your insights here Lydia. Good good stuff, as usual. I have to come back tomorrow to read more. Your blog is one where I read it, think about it, and then read it again. I am behind on reading all of your posts, but that's OK because it's like reading a good book, I have something to look forward too.
: )

Lydia said...

Honour,
Perhaps you, like me, would have different results if you re-took the quiz. Your writing is like a moonbeam, however :)


Lily Hydrangea,
Honestly, your words are some of the nicest ever said to me...thanks so much!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails