Tuesday, September 8, 2009

advice for students livin' on a prayer

Here's something for American kids who are being kept from watching President Obama speak to students today. This advice might pass parental inspection because it mentions prayer.

........Psssst, kids. FYI, President Obama isn't the first president to address students nationwide. Pres. George H.W. Bush gave a speech to school children across the country in 1991. It's really ok for the President to talk to you; in fact, it's really an honor. Don't show your parents this link, but here's the text for President Obama's speech today. Sorry you'll miss the historic speech live.

Now back to livin' on a prayer, and good luck with your education.......




Livin' On A Prayer - lyrics
- Bon Jovi


Once upon a time
Not so long ago

Tommy used to work on the docks
Unions been on strike
He's down on his luck... it's tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says we've got to hold on to what we've got
Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - well give it a shot

Chorus:
Whooah, we're half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin on a prayer

Tommy's got his six string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used
To make it talk - so tough, it's tough
Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers baby it's okay, someday

We've got to hold on to what we've got
Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - well give it a shot

Chorus

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got

Chorus


.

7 comments:

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks for reminding me! I get so lost in my world sometimes, sheesh : )

hope you have a wonderful, peaceful week.

Looking to the Stars said...

Good Post! Not only did Bush Sr. talk to the kids, so did Reagan. This is about race and we all know it.

Love Bon Jovi, that song is one of my favorites!

Darlene said...

Lydia, I can't thank you enough for the link to the President's speech. I had intended to find it later. I just read it and it's very inspirational. If he just reaches a few kids it may change their lives.

Bon Jovi's lyrics will probably be sung my many young people now who are out of work and becoming out of optimism. Times are tough and getting tougher.

Anonymous said...

This song is so meaningful... One of my favorites!

Rhiannon said...

It's a clear and obvious "fear mongering" and making those already angry paranoid people even more upset. I find it ridiculous that it actually seems to work..but when people believe whatever somewhat spouts off...well I don't think that's going to change..their on the "fringe" anyway...but GOP work hard to "stay stuck in time" and not move forward..if they did what the heck would they do? They would have to actually progress and try something different other than heresay, lies and made up stories and assumptions. They want a divided country..but in the end I do believe Obama has the inner strength to not let it get to him...onward we go.

I love Jon Bon Jovi's voice and the groups..plus Jon is so darn cute. I like the song "It's my life" the best for some reason.

Thanks for giving some people a chance to read Obama's speech. this fear mongering it getting so old. Is this all the GOP has ever got???sigh..

OH, Lydia you know flyleaf..well I had no clue they were a christian band I only saw the song and video and loved her voice and uniqueness. I also am not into christian groups at all but I must admit I just like this song and I kind of like the way she lacey squirms around..it's very emotional.

By the way I've finally found a native american Indian musical artist (Robert Mirabal)live video and song on youtube that I have loved forever..It's so beautiful..and the dancing this woman does. I just posted it and hope that you might like it...I'll be curious to know.

I've got to go listen to alvin and the chipmunks do livin on a prayer now.

Rhi

Erin Davis said...

Amen, Sister Lydia!

Lydia said...

@little bird- You are entitled to be absorbed in your new life! I wish you a peaceful week, too.

@Looking to the Stars- I found out that Reagan spoke to the country's students in 1988 after I posted this. My husband heard snippets of both Reagan's and Geo. HW Bush's remarks on public radio while driving home.

@Darlene- I enjoyed reading the speech also. This whole thing has been really heartbreaking and totally maddening for me.
Bon Jovi=shot of reality
Bon Jovi by The Chipmunks=tongue in cheek version for those who can't take reality... :)

@Riyadh- I think it's one of Jon Bon Jovi's best for sure. I wish I could see him in concert some time!

@Nancy- Bingo! My husband and I ate Chinese out tonight and I mentioned your word "moronic" and we toasted with our tea.

@Rhi- You said this:
They want a divided country..but in the end I do believe Obama has the inner strength to not let it get to him...onward we go.

and I felt better about everything! Thanks for the lift, and for your music info as well.

@Erin- Good; teacher-approved!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails