Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Time is in shadows and light, poetry and song

Steptoe Shadows by Mike Dawson
Steptoe Shadows by Mike Dawson



When I saw the truly awesome shot above I was reminded, for some reason, of this poem.......


 

Inscription for Katrina's Sun-Dial
- -by Henry Van Dyke


IN HER GARDEN OF YADDO
          HOURS fly
          Flowers die.
          New days,
          New ways,
          Pass by.
          Love Stays
             - - -
          Time is
Too Slow for those who Wait,
Too Swift for those who Fear,
Too Long for those who Grieve,
Too Short for those who Rejoice;
      But for those who Love,
          Time is Not.


And Van Dyke's poem, of course, brought a 60s rock classic (one of my favorites) to mind....... 
Time Is by It's a Beautiful Day





uploader at youtube wrote: one of their best songs, based on the poem "FOR KATRINA'S SUN DIAL" by Henry van Dyke


.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Awesome, Lydia--I loved the Steptoe Shadows by Mike Dawson. You have introduced me to some wonderful pieces of artwork. I also love the Henry Van Dyke poem and I remember the 'It's a Beautiful Day' album from long in my youth!

I thought you mentioned you had done a piece on Edward Hemingway? I didn't see it! Or perhaps I misunderstood the note you sent me.

Take care,

Melinda

Rosaria Williams said...

I dropped in from some other blog and was captivated here by a beautiful painting, an awesome tune.

Erin Davis said...

What a truly amazing picture, and I love how you take us to the poem and to the song. As I've said before, I love how your mind connects things, Lydia.

Lydia said...

Melinda~ I left a message for you elsewhere explaining the Hemingway post. I'm glad there was some confusion because it brought you here today so you could see the beautiful photo. :)

lakeviewer~ I'm so happy that you stopped here awhile and please return! Your name seems a bit familiar and I wonder if I might have been your way in the past. I'll confirm that with a new visit...

Erin~ You have said that before and it made me happy then as it did today. :) Glad you enjoyed this.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails