Friday, June 6, 2008

"I like turtles"


You are absolutely free to describe me as a turtle or something.
-Paul Giamatti, actor

It's OK to do cute little things like kissing a turtle, but you can't kiss another person because he's a different color? Give me a break. And you have to remember, I'm from Dallas, Texas.
-Aaron Spelling, director

And the turtles, of course...All the turtles are free- As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.
-Dr. Seuss, author


My favorite turtle quote was spoken during the 2007 Rose Festival in Portland, Oregon, by 10-year-old Jonathan Ware. He had just left a face-painting booth at Waterfront Village when KGW-news reporter, Nancy Francis, stopped him for a quick 17-second interview about his new zombie look. In response to her question Jonathan said: "I like turtles!"

Someone stuck the news clip out on YouTube and the rest is history. Jonathan became an overnight sensation, a national media hit, and his fame spawned I like turtles t-shirts and gifts. The original video has been viewed over 5 million times, and there are now
dozens of remixes and take-off videos on YouTube.

The 2008 Rose Festival is now upon us, with the Grand Floral Parade coming on Saturday, June 7 that will be broadcast locally and in various syndicated markets in the United States (check your local listings). A new Rose Queen will be crowned, thousands of people will line the parade route to be wowed once again by floats composed of only plant/floral materials, and there will be tours of Navy ships in town for the festival.

Waterfront Village is again bursting with color, flavor, sound, and energy. It has already rained on the Village and may even rain on the parade this year. No matter; nothing can top Rose Festival for joy-making in Portland, and nothing at Rose Festival can top this:


(P.S. I just realized that after viewing the video, a video strip appears at the bottom. It shows some remixes of I like turtles that others have done, +plus+ that clip of South Carolina's 2007 Miss Teen USA contestant with her now-famous map theory.)

10 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Zombies........Turtles......I see the connection!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting the video on the post, Lydia, I would never have found it. By the way, I am struggling with the idea of doing away with highlighting my hair!

robin ann mcintosh said...

Why is that clip so popular? I have never seen it before, did it really become a huge fad? I want a "I like turtles" tee - because, well, I do like turtles. A lot : )

great post.

Lydia said...

WW,
That must be a sign that you are destined for fame!


Freda,
I bet your hair looks beautiful with highlights. Changing is a big decision. I attended a funeral today and my best friend came from California - with sparkling wavy gray hair. I hadn't seen her for two years; she looked amazing (in spite of losing her nephew to suicide).

Little Bird,
I think it was just so unrehearsed, spontaneous, and quirky on Jonathan's part, and the announcer's reaction is classic, too. Go to this link for info about item sales at cafepress.com (or if it doesn't fully print here go directly to that site:
http://www.kgw.com/business/stories/kgw_070907_news_tshirts_turtle_boy.5b148ea7.html

Lydia said...

The second part of the link following 070907 is:
news_tshirts_turtle_boy.
5b148ea7.html

Anonymous said...

Was this the video I was supposed to see?

I have seen it before and well, anyone who's anyone knows how zombies feel collectively about turtles.

That kid's a genius.

- Gay Rodeo

godhatesreno.com

good girl roxie said...

Hi Lydia, I got here from my blog. Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragement. I left you a note there as well.

Love your bio!

I stopped coloring my hair because ... well ... I don't look younger when I color my hair ... I look like I color my hair. My husband, who's 61, loves my gray hair. He is uncomfortable around women who are (in his words, not mine) "in denial" about their age. I happen to think it's way more complex than that, and that we all need to give each other the space to do as we please as we age.

With that said, I will be honest and say that I am uncomfortable with our use of cosmetic surgery, things like botox and that surgery where they go under the skin and scrape away fat from places like thighs and tummies and making our faces look like we're perpetually surprised or over-caffeinated. That seems to me to be a genuine symptom of a societal malaise that is just as troubling as our collective capability of being whipped up into a fearful frenzy around being attacked by "terrorists." But that's another story for another day.

We had a child when I was 42 and he was 48, who is now almost 13. She hates that we look more like grandparents, but we are getting a kick out of her adolesence and all her teeny-bopper friends who do like us. They think we're "cool," because we're unconventional, even in northern California terms. Go figure.

The main thing that bothers me about being 55 is that my joints are stiff and sore. Thank goodness for yoga!!! But I truly miss being about to put on my running shoes and go out for a 5-mile run.

I'll be back. And thanks for stopping by my place!

Lydia said...

GR -
Yup, that's the video. You're so funny! - Lydia


GG Roxie -
I agree with you about cosmetic procedures and think it's interesting that you juxtaposed the fear of aging with the collective fear of "terrorists."

My sis and her hubby had their first child at 41, and the next at 43. She shares with me and so I can relate to your scene!

Yes, thank god for yoga. I'm impressed that you ever ran a 5-miler. The most I did was probably one. I was a track runner in high school.

I'll go see your blog again today.
-Lydia

wanderingcommuter said...

i never really thought how turtles can be so interconnected with different aspect of life (and probably even death) after reading this post.

thanks for sharing the thought lydia...

and about the eleanor roosevelt quotations, what a coincidence! hahaha

Lydia said...

wanderingcommuter,
yup, it makes me wonder how many other great quotes there are by Eleanor Roosevelt; probably quite a few!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails