Sunday, September 1, 2013

Poetics — Playing with Slogans

It's Not All Passion, Passion, Passion, you know.
Enter a word for your own slogan:


It's not all passion, passion,
passion, you know. You know
it's not, more or less,
all that. It's more. And,
lest you forget, it's more
than all passion,

It's less. Moreover, it's
complicated in its simplicity.
Simply put, complications
arise. So deal with them. Don't
allow complications to
deal the cards. It's not the
luck of the draw. It's reality.

Tending to reality makes
it real. Makes it hurt, makes
it tender. Love me tender.

Talk and listen. Tell new
stories; hear old ones again,
again, again, without
sighing. Save the sighs
for your passion.

Let it simmer in the morn,
sizzle in the night.
Reverse the order; know
that timing is right.
Question right and wrong;
to your own self be true.
Know it's right to live your
own truth and wrong to
live one another's. Dream

freely, scheme rarely. Laugh
often. Save the frowns
for doodles, or for wars
among peoples -- but not you
two people. Get along well,
or, well, get alone. Get alone
with your doggy or your kid
or your soul.

Reflect and remember: It's all
passion, passion,
passion, you
know.


Written for dVerse Poets Pub Poetics, where host Brian Miller wants us to play with slogans this week. I found a site that actually allowed me to do just that: The Advertising Slogan Generator! I settled on the above slogan for the word Passion. But that was only after laughing myself silly with slogans generated using other words. Some examples generated for other words I selected were..... for Truth: Because Truth is Complicated Enough; Time to Make the Truth; Truth, Take Me Away......for War: It Takes a Tough Man to Make a Tender War.......for September: You've Got Questions. We've Got September; September Saves Your Soul........and for Interesting Times: My Goodness, My Interesting Times!

.

13 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love this, and while slogans are typically made of, or turn into, groupspeak, I don't think I recall ever hearing these things put just this way before. Really cool.

kj said...

Slogans? Heck, this is not just slogans . This is orgasmic wordplay!!

Very very fun and very very nice. 'Well, get alone' is my favorite :-)

Love
kj

Brian Miller said...

smiles. def some fun word play in this...tending to reality makes it real. that one caught me up. dream freely scheme rarely was another....very cool lydia....

ds said...

Super stuff, Lydia! I liked "dream freely, scheme rarely" also. And what fun to discover a slogan generator!

Claudia said...

Reflect and remember: It's all
passion, passion,
passion, you
know. ...very cool... i tried out the random slogan creator as well....i filled in duck shit as my brand name...and really had one or two good laughs...smiles

Kathe W. said...

Really appreciated this:
"Get along well,
or, well, get alone. Get alone
with your doggy or your kid
or your soul."
You got that right- if you cannot get along than be alone!
Cheers!

brudberg said...

Lydia, I love what you did here, and I also tried the slogan generator... and it was quite fun...

But out of that you created a beautiful poem... really well done.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Great wordplay! It's all lovely, lovely, lovely you know. Do love it!
Anna :o[

Misky said...

This reminds me of a Gertrude Stein poem. Very readable and thoroughly enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Well done and well put. I'd like some passion...nice way to put it...but, they can just kiss their little dogs then...probably mean to them too. Ha! Ha!
I am still smiling. Always got along. Some passion is deal breaker.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites from this prompt. I loved

Simply put, complications
arise. So deal with them. Don't
allow complications to
deal the cards. It's not the
luck of the draw. It's reality.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

i was recently told that when they threatened to cut the transmission of Radio 4 from Longwave and only do it on digital there was a protest march with the following slogan:

What do we want - RADIO 4
Where do we want it - LONGWAVE
What do we say - PLEASE

Only in England...

Lydia said...

I am SO late in replying to your comments....even later in visiting your blogs, but I promise to do so this weekend!!!

Fireblossom~ Thanks so much. Never thought of groupspeak in that way, either.

kj~ Well, you made me blush. And that's sayin' something!

Brian~ Much appreciate your very cool comments always.

ds~ Many thanks, and am anxious to see what your slogan was (I'm late, bear with me).

Claudia~ As my week has progressed crazily I have thought many times about your duck shit slogan, wondered about it, and am anxious to catch up. :)

Kathe~ Thanks. That was my favorite part too. :)

Björn~ Glad you enjoyed the slogan generator. I certainly enjoyed your very kind comment.

Anna~ Ha! Loved your thrice playing with the words and thanks for your visit.

Misky~ Gertrude Stein....my, what a compliment. I wonder if it reminds you of anything in particular or just the content. How interesting!

seasideauthor~ Here's thanking you for your comment and wishing you some passion!

bostonpoetry~ Your comment was so kind; I am honored.

Pixies~ Only in England is the truth! I am lost, but intrigued nevertheless, by your comment. If this happens when I read your book expect messages asking for explanation!!!!!!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails